Our History

Click the picture below to view the video of our 160th Year Anniversary




Over the past 160+ years, generations of the faithful have gathered to worship at Zion Baptist Church. But how did the church start? Where did it all begin? It began in the hearts and minds of a few people with a vision for the future.

In 1853, some members of Graves Creek Baptist Church had a vision of establishing a church in the community of Zion. From that beginning, Zion Baptist has grown through the efforts of faithful members.

 

On September 25, 1867, Miles Cooksey deeded a house and lot containing three-fourths acres of land to be used as a place of worship. In that same year, a frame church building was constructed on this land. This structure was used as a place of worship until December 4, 1938 when it was destroyed by fire. A brick structure dedicated in 1939 replaced the burned building.

 

In 1968, the sanctuary was enlarged and remodeled, doubling the seating capacity to 250 and adding Sunday school classrooms, a church office and a pastor’s study.

 

The church has continued to purchase land over the years. Educational space was added in 1985 and 1990. A new worship center was completed in 1991 that will seat approximately 900. In November 2005, Zion completed a new gymnasium and ministry center.

In September of 2013, the church opened a new campus in Henderson called Zion Baptist Church South Campus. We are excited about what God is doing there to touch the lives of people in that community and to grow His kingdom.

In recent years, the church has taken the vision outside the lines of the Henderson community, to other parts of the world. After partnering with sister churches in the U.S., a small village in Uganda has been “adopted” to provide the people of the village with a church building, a school building, agricultural possibilities and more. Teams have traveled around the world to minister in person to the people of this small village and share the gift of God’s love.

 

Partnerships have also been formed here, in the U.S., in the suburbs of Cleveland, Ohio to establish evangelistic churches where there are few. A team traveled to Cleveland in July 2011 to conduct basketball and cheer camps, and contemporary worship services to emphasize God’s presence and help a new church plant its roots in the community.

 

Today, the vision continues. We are continuing to develop new ministries and programs, and we are faithfully continuing to reach beyond ourselves and trust God for that which only He can provide. The years ahead are going to be some of the most exciting God-filled years in the life of Zion Baptist Church.

 

"To God be the glory for the great things He has done!"